Cam confusion

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yfm350raptor

Reaction score
When i buy a cam i want to get the best possible cam. I am a mx person but like the trails too. Only cams i know are hotcam and powroll. What do you guys think and whats best?

well powroll and webcam and FST are VERY close and have been on the business for over 18 years... A hotcam is a waste of money.

But a hotcam is a higher lift than a .390 webcam, and the duration is longer i believe. Maybe not the best but its not really a waste of money when you get you keep your stock cam, and spend the same as a cam with a core charge. It was deffintly an improvement on my warrior, but it left me wanting more power fast. Its a good woods cam because it gives you a little more power everywhere.

You can get a .390 grind or a .430 grind for webcams... Why get a hotcam and then spend more money down the road for a higher lift better cam?

But a hotcam is a higher lift than a .390 webcam, and the duration is longer i believe. Maybe not the best but its not really a waste of money when you get you keep your stock cam, and spend the same as a cam with a core charge. It was deffintly an improvement on my warrior, but it left me wanting more power fast. Its a good woods cam because it gives you a little more power everywhere.
yes i have a hot cam also....not really fo bottom end, but it screems top end if you let one gear wind out.

You can get a .390 grind or a .430 grind for webcams... Why get a hotcam and then spend more money down the road for a higher lift better cam?

You are correct like hes saying just get a .430 or .450, do it right the first time instead of messing around. The only reason i didnt go bigger was because i was on a limited budget at the time. Got the stuff to do a full topend rebuild and a wiseco higher comp piston and hotcam for 238 or something like that.

My buddy has a wiseco piston and a hot cam with a alba pipe kit and on the dragstrip if I jump him on the line he can't catch me and the same if he jumps me. His is a 2003 and mine is a stock 1998. So I would say that the hotcam is a waste of money in my book. When I rebuild I will use the 12 to 1 JE piston with a webcam. My mods now are clamp on K&N rejetted carb and a cobra pipe for the moment. Sprocket are 15 front and 41 back with 20" asphalt tires.

My buddy has a wiseco piston and a hot cam with a alba pipe kit and on the dragstrip if I jump him on the line he can't catch me and the same if he jumps me. His is a 2003 and mine is a stock 1998. So I would say that the hotcam is a waste of money in my book. When I rebuild I will use the 12 to 1 JE piston with a webcam. My mods now are clamp on K&N rejetted carb and a cobra pipe for the moment. Sprocket are 15 front and 41 back with 20" asphalt tires.

Thats impossible, his motor is newer, has a higher compression piston by over a lb., and a cam thats a higher lift by .12 inch. Something is not right there, right now with my mods, including the edelbrock and yosh, i can run away from 400ex's if they are stock. You are also running sprockets that would allow you to gain 5 mph over a stock warrior's gearing, so even if he was faster and pulled away out of the start you would catch him in 5th and 6th gear. IDK you prolly are telling the truth but i know i that my warrior without the edelbrock or yosh, could pull away from piped warriors. Theres alot of diffrent factors that play into this, jetting, valve lash adjustment, sprockets, tires, but im not gonna get into all of it.

Anyway that was off-topic so to bring it back onto topic, i would seriously look into the .430 lift cam from webcams, then at the same time get a JE or wiseco piston, to bring back the bottom end.

Back