What sprocket size?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamarider

Reaction score
What size front sprocket would be the best to gain top speed without sacrificing much acceleration? I'm going to Tower City in PA in 2 weeks, which has 6000 acres covered with wide open trails, and I want to get as much top speed as I can without losing too much acceleration for Rausch Creek's MX tracks. I'm about ready to order a 14t but I wanted to get some more opinions first.

Depends on your rear tire size, if you have 20's then deffintly go to a 14. I can pull a 14 with 22's like it isnt even there, but i got alot more mods than you motor wise. A 14 tooth front with 20" tires is like stock speed, if you have 22's it will give you more top speed and sacrafice a little of the snap in all the gears. 14 sounds good.

id say 14 would be your best bet. when my motor was stock it pulled a 14 good with 22's u should be strait inless u wanna get a 14 and a 15 and switch them for when u need em...

My tires are 22's. Does anyone know if the stock size chain will work for a 14t sprocket? thanks for the help.

The X-ring chain and sprockets on it now only have like 2 hours of riding on them so far, so there really isn't any wear on them yet. The reason i'm looking for a different front sprocket is that I was disappointed with the 12t sprocket I put on with the new chain. Would a 14t work with the standard length chain or would I have to buy an extra link to add on?

That depends id say it may work depending on how much adjusting room you have, it's hard to say. I have had 15min old chains skip teeth on new sprockets... A chain over 2 hours old has definitely had enough time to stretch and wear into its own pattern... It isn't advisable because they will:

A. Skip teeth
B. Break teeth
C. Wear your sprockets pre-maturely
D. possibly leap the sprocket and go through your case :)!
E. Or all of the above

I know about replacing worn out sprockets and chains all at once, but is it really that big of a deal to replace everything at once? I know a couple of people that replace sprockets and chains one piece at a time when it wears out, and they haven't had problems with it. I can't justify replacing a 60 dollar chain with 2 hours of light riding on it because it might have stretched a little.

The problem is that chain already has worn into a specific pattern and stretched over the older sprockets. When you put this chain on a new sprocket the chain likes to try and "skip" teeth and/or wear the new sprocket pre-maturely. I am not saying it cant be done but often the cheap way out is not the right or the smart thing to do. I have tried many times to put a chain only 20 mins old onto new sprockets with the skipping and pre-mature wearing. But hey screw it go for it - you can get a new chain for like 35 bucks by the way...

Latest posts

Back