'98 Warrior Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane28462

Reaction score
Hi all, 1st. post here and wanted to see what everyone's opinion was. I have a DG full exhaust on my warrior and the other day while cleaning my K&N filter i noticed that my exhaust had been melting my stock plastic air-box to the point i didn't want to leave it that way. I ran across this ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4562706243&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 on ebay and decided to buy it along with the filter that is pictured with the air-box. My questions are : 1. Will the exhaust heat the metal air-box up to the point it melts the filter since it will conduct heat and not melt or do you think it will be OK since the design of that air-box will keep a constant flow of air across the sidewall of the air-box? 2nd. I am currently running a K&N filter in my stock air-box, When i bought this metal air-box i also bought the filter pictured, Does that filter offer good protection and can i use regular K&N oil on it. 3rd. If i decided to sell my K&N filter with outside pre-filter on ebay, What would be a fair price? Thanks

Welcom to yfm man

but your exhaust shouldnt be melting the air box in the first place? so u might wanna check and make shure you are not running lean, and the air box is not loose. it deff. shouldnt melt the filter specially if its in a metal box.

Thanks! Yeah i did'nt think it should have melted it either, I have my carb dialed in perfectly which is why i was wondering why it melted it. The only thing i have been able to figure out is that a couple of weeks ago i took the quad to the local drag strip where i was running my car but for some unknown reason i ended up on the quad running a Honda Civic to the point the rev limiter kicked in. Their is also no type of heat shield there and im wondering if that played a big part in the problem as well. Where it melted wasn't bad but enough to make me want to replace it. You ever use one of those UNI filters? If so how do they compare to the K&N as far as performance and maintenace?

Wow if you hit the rev limiter with just a pipe and airfilter you musta really been hammering on that sob. I might have hit it once with all my mods, i think it was just wrong jetting but who knows.
But my DG melted my airbox some too, but my heat tape was messed up. It only melted a little spot so i never worried.

LOL yeah i ran it pretty hard, I had the engine bored 30 over and had it P&P'd along with installing the exhaust about a year ago and had really never pushed it too hard. The track was in bad shape for running slicks so we all just started running ATVs golf carts etc. etc. Is their supposed to be a piece of heat shielding tape there? I don't have anything like that on the stock air box and that might be the cause.

Yea mine has a big peice in that spot but its messed up so it dont do too much, you can buy heat tile from dennis kirk or prolly your local atv shop. But if you already ordered that airbox then dont worry about it. When you get that box get some pics of it, i was interested in swaping out my box too someday.

Thanks for the replies! It should be here sometime next week. I'll get some pics as soon as i get it installed..

Well i got the aluminum air box today and i must say that it is awsome. I am working on getting it installed and will post some pics and a reveiw on it but i do have a question. The air box came with a 2 stage pod UNI Filter, I would like to use the UNI filter but i have had no luck with finding UNI brand filter oil and i dont really feel like ordering it off line. I do however have several bottles of K&N filter oil and was wondering if it would work on the UNI filter?. I ask because the UNI filter oil states that its for all oiled filters...

I wouldn't try using k&n filter oil on the uni since it's a different type of filter element. Any kind of foam filter oil should work fine on the uni filter if you can't find the uni oil.

Back