gunked up chain

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaharaptor350

Reaction score
i have a **** load of like nasty old chain lube on my chain... whats the best way to get the crap off the chain?? ::)

Easy way is take simple green concentrated general cleaner, available almost everywhere, and spray it on your chain. First you'll want to spray it good with water, then the simple green, and let it soak for about ten minutes and rinse. Simply repeat and scrub a little for heavy deposits. That stuff is amazing, works better than a power washer on your whole quad without even any scrubbing.

Easy way is take simple green concentrated general cleaner, available almost everywhere, and spray it on your chain. First you'll want to spray it good with water, then the simple green, and let it soak for about ten minutes and rinse. Simply repeat and scrub a little for heavy deposits. That stuff is amazing, works better than a power washer on your whole quad without even any scrubbing.
wow good to know... u can put that stuff all over your quad?? wont screw your plastics up or anything??

Make sure it's the "All Purpose Cleaner". If you use the lime remover or such it will damage the plastics. It is said that degreasers damage the chain, but I've never had any problems with that stuff. Some degreasers like crc will dissolve rubber and eat the grease out of the pins, but I haven't had any such problems with simple green once so ever. It was made as a general cleaner, so it is compatible with every surface. I've used over six or so bottles of it all over the entire quad, if anything was going to happen it would of already. Whoever invented that **** is a f*cking god!!!

Make sure it's the "All Purpose Cleaner". If you use the lime remover or such it will damage the plastics. It is said that degreasers damage the chain, but I've never had any problems with that stuff. Some degreasers like crc will dissolve rubber and eat the grease out of the pins, but I haven't had any such problems with simple green once so ever. It was made as a general cleaner, so it is compatible with every surface. I've used over six or so bottles of it all over the entire quad, if anything was going to happen it would of already. Whoever invented that **** is a f*cking god!!!

Agreed. I have used tons of simple green all over my bike. I applied the same exact way all over the frame and chain. I haven't ever used it on my plastics I hand wash them. But I haven't had any problems with the chain at all.

I used Gunk engine brite and a scrubby brush, worked great. I had to re lube afterawrds but it was a lot cleaner.

It takes all about 1 minute to pull the chain off. I roll mine up and place in a tin pie plate an fill it with kerosene. Scrub with a wire brush, let dry and relube.

I wish I would have taken pictuers of the rear end of my bike when I had chain wax all over it. I didn't read the directions correctly on the maxima chain wax and I never let it sit for 15 minutes like it says, so wax went everywhere I tried for weeks to get it off. All it took was a couple of coats of simple green and it is now spot less. Words can't even describe how nasty it was. I tried scrubbing the hell out of it, but that didn't do justice at all.

This is afterwards. I just wish I had a picture of before..
Warrior-RearBottom.jpg

Back