87 warrior clunking from motor or tranny

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlavsa

Reaction score
I own an 87 warrior that has never been rebuilt, just maintained and it still runs real strong (for a warrior.)

Suddenly i noticed a kind of clunking around when the quad is moving. If its sitting still, and revving its fine, and when im riding, it clunks, if its in nuetral and coasting it clunks. It seems like its coming from the front left of the motor possibly near the shifter or tranny.

It also seems like it clunks alot whenever im cruising to a stop and shifting down into first.

The quad still runs fine, but this clunking will not quit. Im sure it will prolly get worse.

Check your oil soon and see if you have alot of metal build up it could be alot of things but a bent shift fork sounds about right if it happens when your downshifting.

well it does it all the time, almost like something rubbing or is loose in there. It just seems really clunky when i downshift.

It could also be your crank bearings but it would be coming from near the front did you check your oil yet? You could have chipped a tooth on a gear in there.

Checked my manual, says it's probably excess clearance on your bearings, think it was the one on the connecting rod or the main bearing. Rebuild time!!! :mad:

Hows your chain? When a chain gets old, it almost like kinks and gets hard to more. Take it off and try to wiggle it. I know it sounds funny but it might be a simple fix!

Didn't even think of that one, I've had the chain go loose on me quite a bit but it usually makes a hesitation when you first accelerate :eek:

Back