hole in crankcase!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstout4life

Reaction score
ive been having persistent problems wit the axle carrier bolts comin out. the top one came out 2x and the bottom one 1x. the second time the top one came out, the chain popped off and bunched up at the front sprocket causing it to break off the case that acts as the chain guard. so now i have a hole in the side of my crank case. ive tried using alualoy but i cant get the case hot enough for it to bond. any ideas? im s.o.o.l!!

:'( shitty.... the only perm fix is to take it to a machine/welding shop and they should be able to tig the hole, as long as it isn't anywhere important!If its around a bearing you might be hooped.

::) Thats an unusual prob, I'm usually pretty paranoid and tighten those nuts tight. I've never had mine come loose and its pretty old. :pWas there lock washers on them?Try locktight(low strength) on those nuts.

yeah thats what i would do ...Jb weld works wonders....but maybe after this you might want to go ahead and invest in a case saver....yamaha has them for sell for the raptor 350s but they fit on the warrior as well... pluse there very atractive.... :cool:

There is lock washers on mine... Ive actually heard of people using JB Weld with great success on cracked cases.

Yes my friend who raced his warrior at a local track with me used JB weld and it has been 2 years now....

Jb weld is pretty much the best and cheapest fix besides a weld itself. Torque those bolts down, i torque them till i cant tighten them anymore with a smaller ratchet, then use either a torque wrench or breaker bar to get them loose again, or i buff up and use the 3/8 ratchet. I just tighten them down and i dont have lock washers, mines been holding up. :cool:

Yeah you'll definately need a breaker bar or torque wrench, nothing else has a long enough handle to get them tight. The yamaha manual says to put either the top or bottom bolt to around 100Nm and the other one to something much less, but I just put both bolts to around 100Nm. I've actually knocked one of the bolts loose before backing into a stump, that really sucked. I found a replacement nut for it at a bike shop in copper harbor, was really lucky that day!!! ;D

I had the same situation with the chain guard portion of the crankcase breaking off due to the chain coming off. I used JB weld to get it back on, but it took a few times to get it just right because oil kept leaking out. Make sure you clean the area very well before you apply the JB weld and apply it generously. Now mine doesn't leak at all and hasn't come apart yet.

haha, i guess i got the worst of this...mine broke twice, and i have to use all new hardware everytime i adjust my chain and i use red locktite (permanent strength) and i can still get them loose with hand tools no problem

One good thing to do before tightening the carrier bolts is to move around the carrier a bunch to shake any grit that is stuck in there free. The grit causes the carrier to come loose very easily. This is evidence that thoroughly cleaning your quad regularly lengthens it's life.

yea i think i got a little hole too...towards the front of the motor, it leeks a little bit but i dont ****** care anymore.

Back