Fire Under The hood

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonnie1977

Reaction score
Well today I get the quad out to take it for a ride and play with the shocks some more. After trieing to start it for 20 min I check the fuse next to the battery and relize its blown. No big deal replace it and turn the key on only to see smoke coming from under the nose piece so I quickly turn the key off. Turns out the wires for the rectifier have burn through each other and shorted out. I pull the plug and tape up the wires and try to see if it starts. No go. So I guess the rectifier is blown out. Any one else ever have this problem?? I am guessing the wires shorted out from all the vibration??? Any thooughts on this. Maybe a stick or something cut one of the wires?? Either way I have already ordered a new rectifier hoping is solves the problem and I plan on putting heat shrink on the wires to protect them. If it doesn't work the dealer is getting it back hopefully under a warrenty issue.

ive never heard of that but it sounds like you know the problem. Just the wires rubbing together from vibration or something like a stick was rubbing one, then it shorted when they contacted eachother.

Did you jump start the quad anytime recent with a high amp output source (a car, truck, etc...)? I really don't buy the "wires rubbing together" theory at all its not logical or that possible. How ever what is possible is a nick in a wire from a kicked up stone or something shorted it out - I don’t see it frying the rectifier though. Sounds to me like you introduced a decent amount of current into your electrical system and before the fuse could pop (slow burning fuses can take over a min or so to pop) it burned up a few things. I would definitely rule out vibrating wires as a culprit and look for shorts.

I aint buying the wires rubbing either really just putting something out there. The last time i had to jump the quad was the weekend after Superbowl Sunday. I jumped off a car battery with the car not running. Would the quad start without the rectifier working? I get nothing when trying to start it after covering the wires that were touching.

well you know the rectifier is to converd ac to dc-...so i guess it could start, but you could blow your headlights or even the cdi thoungh

Back