How do you know when you float your valves?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
I know exactly what happens when you are floating your valves. The cam is returning to the springs before they close up the valves. But how would you know you are floating your valves. Like today i was messing with jetting. I cleaned the carb and everything else. Well the thing was backfiring alot when i let off the gas so i wanted top go bigger on the jets, it had a 155 in it, and the only bigger jet i had was a 162.5. so for the hell of it i put it in. The thing ran so much better and was accelerating even harder than before. After riding for a while i decided to tach it out well it tached alright, and a little higher than before and then it sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter. But when i had it out i maxed i out on the road and it didnt do this, it was running awesome with no backfiring or signs of rich or lean mixtures. Do you guys think i was just floating the valves? I know its not good so i am not going to try it again untill i check the plug tommorow lol. Need input before i mess something up. Also doesnt it seem like my main jet is a little big. I mean i have the hotcam, piston, freeflowing echaust and filter, and a high output coil. Keep in mind this all started when i put the hotshots coil in, before it wouldnt handle the added fuel so the coil did do a little soemthing for it.

It will simply go to a gargle sound when you reach a really high rev, easy to tell something unfriendly is going on inside the motor. If it simply just sounds topped out it's just your cdi rev limit.

Well it is kinda like a gargle sound, almost like its too rich, but i dont know how it could be rich and run so good. Im gonna go take a look at the plug here in a minute. But thanks for the input.

and i didint think the warrior had a rev limiter on the CDI, but maybe cause of the aftermarket parts it revs higher than stock.

Yeah, it has one, but it's pretty hard to hit it without some really good mods. A aftermarket cdi will make it go 1,000 to 1,500 higher and muuuuuch faster getting there.

i wish i had the money to invest in one of those dyna ignitions. But i would need better valve springs for sure. It turns out to be close to 600 bucks by the time i buy everything, 450 for the ingnition, then another 100 for the valve springs. But someday i will get one.

Back