gunk in oil filter

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phins54

Reaction score
this is what i found in my oil filter during oil change. how concerned do i need to be? i have about 20 hours on the 4 wheeler. i had purchased it used and the guy told me that he had just changed the oil. i am willing to bet not as the oil was very black and thin. i put 20w50 in this change hoping to help in my shifting troubles and now i discover this. i had planned on changing the oil when getting it home from purchase but with new toy excitement i neglected to do that. i now regret that decision. let me know what you guys think.....
p.s the blue gasket was stuck to the inside of the case when pulling the filter out. i had to use needle nose to get it off.

yamaha-warrior-03-bikepics-302477.jpg

yamaha-warrior-03-bikepics-302479.jpg

:-O!!? Are those metal shavings!? What is the material on the filter? It should DEF. NOT look like that regardless!! If those are particles of metal I think you have found your shifting problem....

WOW! Thats one fucked up filter. My first filter change had some metal in it but nothing anywhere near that, but i dropped mine at 10 hours, so i guess if i left it in for 20 it would look like that. Bro you gotta start changing that oil sooner, that gasket is melted and theres so much crap in it that its hard to believe that is only 20 hours of riding.

yup those are metal shavings.....the filter looks to be a yamaha filter from dealer. i have only put 20 hours on it. i purchased it used. the guy had told me that he had just changed the oil....well i would agree with anyone if they thought he was less than honest with me on this.....gonna do some digging and see what else he didn't do and what i need to do at this point.

i am not aware of how the prior owner took care of that. by the info on the paper work he gave me he purchased it feb of 04 i won't assume he did any break in procedures. the bike is an 03 model...

Yeah man if that’s broken in and doing that the Cylinder head needs to be taken apart and the case needs to be cracked. clean all that metal crap out of your system before it does even more damage and find the root of it. Or you can just go punch the guy in the face who sold it to you and take a dump on his porch! ;D

when you first buy a new quad, your engine is not worked in, so if you ride it too hard the pistons will scrape metal shavings off of the cylinder. It happens to all new quads, just not to the extent of yours! I wouldn't be worried though, but you should buy a new oil filter from yamaha!

this is what i get for not just buying new i guess. i want to open it up and check the cluth plates and then run a couple fresh oil changes through it and see how that works out. i hope no major damage was done.

lol mine looks like that all the time lol...not that big a deal...just wear and tear on your clutch plates...although i have a brand new barnett clutch kit may be part of it ....but your fine bro metal shavings are always gonna be there

Latest posts

Back