Top End Noise

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankytat2u

Reaction score
Alright guys here is a good one for you'll. My friend who has a 2003 warrior and is very rough on it emailed me tonight and said that it has some noise coming from the top end that goes up and down with the rpm's. I know he has sunk it a couple of times and that the motor locked up a few times. Which resulted in both valves bent. They have been changed along with the rings but no rebore. The last time I rode with him he was running it like he stole it. I think the cam chain is stretched and there might be some piston slap because it is smoking now. I am wondering if the connecting rod is bent as well and if so how can you tell? He is asking me to do the rebuild on it so it will be done right but I could use some advise from the experts. We plan on putting the stage 1 hot cam and the big bore kit from motojoe. He has already bought the albal pipe kit. Thanks

What kind of noise is it? is it like a clacking tapping noise? If so its probably the valves banging against the seat; this is one of the reasons I went with Titanium keepers.

Sounds like your friend dosn't know the joys of an oil change.
Sounds like a set of fried rings, and the valve adjustment being out of wack, you can try to get them adjusted into specs and see if the noise goes away, but that won't solve the smoke. Only real way to check the rod is to tear it down and look, i bet his low end bearings are shot so if your going to rebuild it, do it all. And smack your friend for me, beating up on a poor warrior like that is just wrong, the motor is a tank, to blow it takes ALOT of abuse, or just being a dick and never changing the oil.

The noise sounds like a loose camchain slapping but the noise is getting worse so I told him to park it. The valves are adjusted because I did the valves my self after he gave up trying to fix it himself and dropped the bike to me. Since then he dropped it off to me to readjust the valves and when I lined up the mark on the flywheel and took off the cam gear cover it was about 2 teeth behind. I told him that the camchain is stretched and he should rebuild the whole motor because what else is screwed up? He said ok but it would have to wait until his income tax check comes in. I also told him not to run it at all because he could mess some more stuff up but I guess he didn't listen??? He did change the oil after he played submarine and I changed the oil before I cranked it up after the valve job and there was sand or something in every groove in the filter. I did not warranty anything after that because that is abuse for sure. He understood and is willing to do it right this time with a what ever it takes attitude. I will not slap him his wallet will be hurting enough after this.

Sounds like your friend dosn't know the joys of an oil change.
Sounds like a set of fried rings, and the valve adjustment being out of wack, you can try to get them adjusted into specs and see if the noise goes away, but that won't solve the smoke. Only real way to check the rod is to tear it down and look, i bet his low end bearings are shot so if your going to rebuild it, do it all. And smack your friend for me, beating up on a poor warrior like that is just wrong, the motor is a tank, to blow it takes ALOT of abuse, or just being a dick and never changing the oil.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ My Poor Warrior it almost sounds like thats aimed at me,well at least I change the oil every 5 race hours and adjust the valves every 2 weeks I keep up regular maintenance ;)

WOA WTF. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ive never seen i piston like that, the whole thing isbroke in 1/2. That warrior need some serious help. If you rebuild it id do a new cam chain, new valves, seals, new bore, new cam, new piston(obviously). Then i would flush the bottom end out a few times. You might even want to replace the rocker arms andf other stuff. There is deffnitly soemthing messed up. Good luck, by the looks of it you are going to need it.

I hear ya when I took the cylinder off all I could say is WTF. I just did a valve job and new cam after he played submarine with. Then I found out about the camchain being stretched and told him not to ride it until I could do the motor. He told me that rode it a few times and the last time he went ride and that motor stopped. He then got it started and rode home. He let it sit for awhile then tried to crank it and said acted like it had no compression. I have a new cam chain, overbore piston,oil pump and gasket set on order. I think that the piston had some problems since he drowned it but couldn't tell by looking at it. I never looked at the piston other than it in the cylinder when it took the head off to do the valves. I while keep you'll updated on this project.

I have been racking my brains out trying to figure out what would have caused this. The only thing I can figure is from the abuse and maybe overreving the motor but I thought they have a rev limiter so any ideas?

I took the piston over to the guy who does my machine work and he said that the piston hit the head???? He seams to think that the connecting rod stretched for some reason??? The plot thickens once again. :eek:

I took the motor apart and sure enough the connecting rod had some play in the wrist pin area. Go figure. I have ordered the wiseco piston kit and a new connecting rod kit along with gaskets and a new oil pump just to be on the safe side. I will post a picture of what the warrior motor looks like all apart spread out on a table.

Latest posts

Back