New to the board

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm new here.. but not new to quads.. been playing on them for quite some time..

Found this place by accident on a yahoo search for rappy stuff.

I've got an '06 Raptor 350 SE. Nothing major done to it, just jetted and K&N filter kit.
Baffling is out of the muffler..

And within the first ride of it's life it got the name Screaming Chicken.. which kinda stuck with it and me.

I've actually got a question for you guys.

This thing is incredibly nose heavy compared to everything I've ridden.. I can wheelie a 4WD Honda easier than this thing.. the most I've gotten is it jumped up on accident once when I was powerbraking it.. but I can't seem to get the wheels past maybe 5 inches off the ground..
I've never had to pop the clutch on any quad to wheelie.. so what's the secret?

welcome to the site man, and yah the rappy's are very front heavy, but i got just a k&n filter and i can power wheelie it 1st and 2nd and sometimes 3 rd gear w/ some body movement..... you might have to go off a bump or something

Throw your weight back and pull on the bars as you jab the throttle. These machines are pretty nose heavy for a sport quad, due to the heavy engines being positioned so far forward. Don't worry, the more you practice, the easier it'll get.

Went riding again today after work and kinda played with it some.. the main problem with the wheelie is tire spin. Even with me standing up and slammin my weight back it spins out too much to lift..

I've got some nice meaty tires on there.. but it won't bite.
I played with my friends 400EX with the same tires on it and got his to wheelie all day long.. but there again, the nose isn't near as heavy.

I can make it pull a little over bumps, but not enough to hit the balance point.
I still refuse to dump the clutch, cause I never have and really don't feel like hearing it crunch one of these times.

I need a grassy area to play around with tho.. cause on gravel and loose dirt it can't get traction. I mean crap, I spun through 5th gear draggin against my friend on his warrior.. and that's even sitting on the back of the seat.

Hmm, a stock rappy spinning in 5th gear with the rider on the back of the seat... how meaty are those tires again? lol

I'm not sure why you're worried about popping the clutch a little. You don't need to tach it out and let it fly, just bring up the rpm's some and let it out quick. I've given mine a hell of a lot more abuse than that (tached it up and dumped the clutch in 2nd gear on pavement!) and I never heard this "crunch" you're fearing. These transmissions are tough.

yeah I climbed so pretty interesting stuff again today.
The tires are the same tread as holeshots.. I dunno for sure what they are, tehy cam on teh thing.

I went up against my friend Jay's 400EX today with it and walked him in 6th gear.. now should that happen? I mean, its fast and all but shouldn't the 400 leave me behind?
I'm learning ways to make it wheelie.. But I haven't done my usual "Take it out and ride circles poppin tricks" yet.. just on trails and on jumps.

If I powerbrake 2nd standing up then slam my weight down on the back it'll come up, but still not far. maybe 8 inches under the front tires.

Stock for stock a 400EX should be quicker, but not by a rediculous amount. A pipe and jet and a good rider will take a 400ex everytime, if you have a good cam, and piston, then it makes it that much easier. So it's not out of the ordinary + mabe he dosn't know how to ride all that good.

Back