Hopefully a new raptor owner

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowredranger

Reaction score
I am trying to finalize a deal this week on buying an all most new 05 raptor 350. They are selling it for $3500 and they said it has only had about 4 tanks of gas through it. Can someone let me know if this is a decent deal. I posted over on the general. Good to be here i am down in orlando.
Jason

I would say it is a great deal, I bought an 04 for 2100, and it was great..Welcome to the YFM COMMUNITY

yea hopefully i can pick it up thursday or friday so i can take it out for a test ride on saturday. I will have to get used to the clutch as the bike i have now has an auto clutch but i have a motorcycle so i figure i will just forget to use it b/c of the old one. Thanks for the welcome what are a couple of the first things you guys usually do to them? thanks
Jason

Ok yea, you should be able to get used to it no problem. And normally some of the first things done to a quad would be tires, a slip on exhaust, an intake, and jetting, after that maybe some nerf bars. The jetting isn't that bad to do, it's so it won't be running to rich or lean (no offence but I don't know how much you know about this stuff, so I figured I'd say why you would do the jetting). One of the first things you should purchase would be a Clymers manual. That will tell you how to do everything on the quad. Thats about it until you start getting into cams, extended a-arms, and rear axle, suspension, oil coolers, big bore/stroker kits. But those last things I mentioned should be on the bottom of the list
~Bill
p.s. some people would move the a-arms rear axle and suspension closer to the top of the list, because with tires a newer set of shocks and some a arms w/ a 2+2 rear axle can make your quad handle Much better. Check out the boards you'll start to see some people building theirs, and going through the same questions as you are. good luck.

Thanks for the info. Do jets do any good if you do not have any other modifications? i will probably look into some rear tires and skid plates first just b/c i do a lot of trail riding not any real racing so most of the suspension stuff probably wont get done and the rest would have to be after i make some more money. What is better about the newer axle is that just for racing? thanks for all the help
Jason

Ok well atm I don't do Any racing other than friends and stuff like that, the a-arms, rear axle and shocks help the over all feel of the quad. Not only for track stuff, but for trail riding, and jumping and all of it. If you were to buy some shocks from elka you give them your weight and tell them that the vast majority of your riding is trail riding, and they'll build the shock for woods stuff, and not track stuff. And the main point of gettin a arms, suspension and a rear axle is the wider width stance makes it less tippy and overall more predictable. They also help you in tighter turns and able to carry more speed through the woods. Like I said, when I bought my warrior it had all the stuff on it already. So I'm in the process of buying +2+1 (2 inches wider 1 inch forward, on each arm) elka shocks, and a durablue 2+2 rear axle (2 inches wider on each side). I have yet to set foot on any sort of mx track, I ride mostly woods, w/ some sand, and some jumps.
And as far as the jet's go, it's just to keep your air/fuel mixture at a good ratio, and you shouldn't have to adjust your jets if you don't have any work done to it yet. It's mostly after you put on some performance parts, you'll have more air or fuel in the air/fuel mixture making it run lean which isn't good. If the guy before you had any work done to the quad get the jet's checked or do it yourself, and make sure your not running rich or you could run into some detonation.
So all things considered, I would agree with you on the skid plates, and tires. The performance stuff can come down the line. And when it comes to suspension, it's not just for the racer, but for the person who wants to be able to push the quad and themselves further then the stock set up would normally allow.
I would personally get a feel for the quad in the stock form. So that way when you do upgrade something you should be able to feel how it's working, and if it's what you wanted. Don't forget, if you buy something and you don't like the return it yeilds performance wise, you have a market right here waiting to pick up some spare parts. ;)
~Bill

imtarnished thanks for all of the info it is really helpful i just got off the phone and i willl be picking up the quad tomarrow night so the first real ride will be saturday and we will see what she can do. thanks for all the help.
Jason

Back