Riding area being railroaded

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
This is a huge story down here and into GA's neighboring states. Durhamtown was featured in Dirtwheels awhile back and has up to a thousand riders in a weekend. I personally haven't been there in a while because the owner got an "anti-quad" hair up his butt for a while. I still don't like to see them rail roaded. Here is a link to the footage and story as reported by an Atlanta news station. They fail to mention in their comparisons that the park has more visitors on any given day than the other trails they mentioned combined and they also do not compare it to mx tracks which are where most of the accidents at DP occur.

http://media.putfile.com/Fox-5-Atlanta-storey-on-Durhamtown-Plantation

I didn't read the article, but I wonder if they are taking into consideration all the money those riders bring into the area??

That's so much bullshit it's not even funny!!!!

The dad spent 39 years in motocross as a rider, and didn't tell his son that a freestyle ramp was dangerous?? ******* ludicrous!!!

**** happens. Where exactly were the parents when it happened? Damn, the owner isn't responsible, that's why you sign a waiver. Stupid liberals!!!

i totally agree with you gawarrior. i cant even believe it! i also cant believe the parents and others saying "they need to take that ramp down", "it should have been in the advanced section" ,etc. if the kid wasnt advanced enough to do the jump, he shouldnt have ****** done it! i really dont think that it is the riding area or the owner at fault. i would think that so many people go there every year that odds are that someone, sometime is going to get hurt/die. its a weird coincidence that so many people have died there, but accidents happen and we all know (or should know) that before we even get on a quad or dirtbike. if people ride within their own limits and dont do stupid **** like go off a freestyle ramp when you have never done it before, even after your parents argue with you and tell you not to (from what some lady says on the messages below the video), then you are less likely to get hurt/killed. its just COMMON ******* SENSE! its hard enough to find places to ride without people trying to **** things up for us. im sorry for their loss, but like gawarrior said, the dad rode for 39 years, so i have no doubt that he told his son that riding (even on trails) can be dangerous! unbelievable. my brother lives near atlanta and i wanted to go stay with him to go ride there, but not sure if i will be able to now though.

there's my rant for the day. damn i feel better. needed to let some emotion out since i just got home from my great-grandma's funeral. everyone, keep riding and cherish your time on this earth, because our lifetimes are just a blink in the vast space of eternity.

They're still open. They did take down the ramps. Don't know why....8 fatalities and only one was on the ramps. They had to close their kitchen for a week until they get the inspectors out there and the zoning changed. Bunch of nonsense really. I'm sorry, I reread my first post and I had put "up to a thousand people on weekends" I meant up to a thousand per day on weekends. The 39 year pro looked to me like he rode without a helmet a few times...lol.

thats what i think shi-stuff happens people die it happens in the sport.. its gonna happen no matter what

Thats ****** retarted. All of the deaths they talk about are due to rider stupidity. The kid should know if he has the ability to hit the jump, how a person hits a tree in a parking lot and dies idk, and an 11 year old girl hit a tree goin down the drag strip. All this is ****** rider stupidity its not the parks fault that the people who go there are idiots.

yeah i really want to know how the **** you run into a tree leaving the parking lot and kill yourself. i can see hitting your head on the tree and seriously injuring/killing yourself, but how do you just run into a tree like that? its not like you are on a trail with the throttle wide open and drift into a tree and eat it. its a stationary object! oh well. oh, and an 11 year old girl (or even boy) probably shouldnt be drag racing a quad!

yeah i really want to know how the **** you run into a tree leaving the parking lot and kill yourself.

He was doing a wheelie in the parking area while someone went to rent their helmets is what I was told. When the bike came down it hit the tree and he went over the bars and hit the tree with the top of his head, then just slumped back down in the riding position. BTW, helmets are required there.

Ok so what did the gbi find out??..How can you go blame the riders fault on somebody else?.....our we turning into a strict country? why cant we have fun anymore without the harassment of officials saying there dangerous...you know i could be walking in a parking lot and get nailed by a car weather the driver was 16 or 90 and get killed..so lets ban walking in parking lots...people are so ******* stupid!!

Sorry for the ones who haved passed and the ones who have lost, but it happens every were and every day..in all types of accidents.

thanks for the info kreed. i can see how that could happen now, but people should wear helmets all the time, even in parking lots. i know from all the times i hit my head while skating (inline) that its a good idea to put one on. most every place you ride that is a public riding area has a set of rules to follow, some different than others. like deepwater,mo the rules are pretty loose and people ride without helmets, ride double and all that ****, but at chadwickand other areas, if you are caught without a helmet by a forest ranger you can get a ticket, as well as spark arrestors, sound levels, riding double, etc. if people just use some common sense when they ride, it would greatly decrease the likelyhood of an accident. i know i have done some stupid stuff (like rode down and UP some black trails at chadwick) but i did it with common sense. btw, rfm-did you ever get pics of how you set up your filter w/o the airbox? i would still like to see that. thanks

usd...my top end should be done this week so once its back in a will take some shots for ya....

damn, thats pretty fucked up. that was pretty irresponsible for him to take the guy in his truck. should have just had the ambulance take him. also, the guy injured should have know that there was a risk riding a bike that had just been rebuilt. he even said they told him they dont know well it will work. it looked like the guy was trying to cover a lot of stuff up, but i guess its only one side of the story. hope nothing else happens to people there.

Back