• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to YFM350 and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

CHECKING INTEREST - POLISHED LIGHT GAP COVERS!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2xtreme

Reaction score
The prototype cover is finally done, albeit a bit rough. After 2 redesigns and numerous tweaks to the CAD file, I have finally gotten what I feel is the best design for the cover.

Here are the details:
High quality, .060” thk aircraft grade aluminum (5052)
Computer designed and CNC Laser Cut
Hand formed and hand polished
**Please note these are sheet metal parts and as such do not polish quite the same as a billet piece such as a rim. There will be some ‘grain’ visible upon close inspection.

As we all know, the covers are to eliminate the gaping hole left when removing the stock headlights. These covers however will also act as a ‘scoop’ to direct more air under the hood towards your engine/ oil cooler!!

I am planning on offering 2 types:
One as a standard cover to which you can add a decal or leave polished
The other with the word ‘YAMAHA’ cut out of the center

000_0257.jpg

000_0255.jpg

000_0254.jpg

000_0252.jpg

000_0259.jpg

000_0258.jpg

The prototype cover shown in the pics was made from some scrap aluminum I had laying around, so it is a bit scratched up and is considerably thinner than the final product will be. Also, the word ‘YAMAHA’ is just drawn on the prototype to give you an idea of what it will look like when cut out. As you can see in the prototype is not fastened to the quad. Once fastened with panel fasteners or rivets, it will sit much tighter to the hood.

One last thing regarding the prototype pics- I hope to achieve a better polish using the higher quality aluminum and a better polish- I used what I had on hand for the prototype.

Pricing is going to be dependant upon number of interested parties, as this will determine my initial laser cutting costs.

This is the Official Checking Interest thread. All interested parties should post up here.

So if you are interested, post up (include which type). If you have questions, post up.

Thanks

2Xtreme

w00t!
bobbingmonkey.gif

i want one of the yamaha cut out so i can put some blue lights and wire mesh behind it....ORDER ORDER ORDER!!!!

im sure the first question is gonna be " but how much pah???? " ......

And my one and only response will be that "pricing will depend on the number of intersted parties (hence the Checking Interest post) as this will determine my laser cutting costs."

Once I have a feel for how many are interested, I will be able to come up with a price.

But I have to see how many people would like to have one.

Incidentaly, the prototype actually looks 100% better than it does in the pics.

The pics just don't do it justice...

After 2 redesigns and numerous tweaks to the CAD file

Holy ****!! you use CAD? what do you do? I don't think I've met anyone who uses CAD.

I was working for a civil company here in Las Vegas for almost a year. Now I'm working for an electric company doing their design work.

i use cad too, im taking it for college credits in highschool, and i can draw parts too, but not this complicated

...what do you do? I don't think I've met anyone who uses CAD...

I am the Senior Structural Drafter for one of the largest Engineering Consulting firms in Upstate NY. Using AutoCAD

Before that I sold SolidWorks.

And before that I work for a company making aircraft parts designing parts and programming 5-Axis waterjet cutting paths.

So yeah, you could say I know my ****.... ;D

i use cad too, im taking it for college credits in highschool, and i can draw parts too, but not this complicated

that's awesome, that's what i did while i was in high school. in my second year i combined it with machine trades. it was pretty sick, we could draw up something on cad and mil it out on a CNC machine. The first year students in the machine trades class were pissed, they couldn't touch the machine and we just walked in there and learned to program, haha.

When i was working at the civil company I was doing all the grading (very basic hydrology, water/sewer/street/driveway slopes), lot set up, plot plans. Being here in Las Vegas that was very stressful, the housing market is just crazy here. The last project i was working on was a 1,000 acre master community called south edge. I got on near the end of Mountains edge ( about 500 acres) but that project has it's own schools, business communities. that should give you an idea how big south edge is.

But i had to leave, the engineers were stuck on their high horse, treated you like ****, just looked down on you all the time. Now I work for an electrical company here, they are pretty big. Of all the pools around Las Vegas that need wiring, they probably did about 70% of them. I design where the lights, and recepticals go, and make sure they have enough power.

I'm going to school for architecture, that's what i really want to be. like a developer/broker that would be sweet!!

Hey 2xtreme, where did you go to school? are you the PE? Most of the engineers i was working with (except for my new job) didn't use CAD at all. They would piss me off so much. they didn't know how the project got from point A to B, they just knew what point B should look like for submitle. Don't get me wrong they were really smart, they could figure out how fast you need to rub two sticks together and at what pressure to get a flame and how hot it would burn and how much heat would be let off, factor in the affects of different conditions, but tou couldn't get them to rub the sticks together. how long have you been working with CAD?

I'm taking AutoCADD in highschool right now too! It's pretty fun and we got to make These Police Sirens and to cut ouot the box they would go in, we would go in another room and upload the picture onto this machine. The machine would cut the paper with a laser which was pretty cool.

hey yammy what kind of projects did you do?

I thought my cad class was really easy. But now that i'm out in the feild it seems like knowing cad is the least of my worries. making everything work and be to code is the hardest part of my job. i guess once i learn the codes it will be a lot easier.

hello fello drafters/designers/engineers/CAD guys!!!! been using it since 93.

cover looks good. i already came up with a mod for mine so unfortunately, i'm not interested. however, i would be interested if you made engine shrouds. i might actually make one this summer though.

Back