hotrods crank

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearnofish06860

Reaction score
does anyone on here have a hotrods stroker crank? if you do, i would like to get a lil info on it, so just send me a pm, or leave me a message here, thanks :)

I've heard good things about it, even though it's made in China, it seems to have held up, at least I think it has because I haven't heard any bad things about it.

yeah, i think it might be 396, but im not positive but i might have to replace my crank, and its like the same price to go that route than it is to go the stock route, and i talked to the guy at alba (not getting it done by them, or from them) but he said they run it all day long with no problems, and i just some conformation on that you know?

with that crank i believe the jug need to be bored .040 and you have to use their piston along with the crank which is around 250$ give or take.

If your looking for this kit, contact our site administraitor Deathshadow, he gets these kits pretty damn cheap, I won't say how much because he don't want it broadcasted all over the net. So email him or PM him.

I put a hot rods crank in my '87 (not the stroker). Fit and finish is nice. I only have a few hours on it so far though. It came with one mainbearing and cam sprocket already pressed on, you'll have to replace the other main bearing.

well i have the hotrods stroker kit & i love it. its a 396 (basically a 400) & the kit that i had put in mine came with a CP piston for he stroker running at 10.5:1 compression. i would suggest if you do the stroker kit that you get the hotcams stroker cam as well & maybe have a shop do it unless you have the experience & tools to do it. also, while you have the motor open & the head off, have it ported & polished. i would definitely recommend that you have someone experienced do that as well. then, if you have access to it, do dyno tuning. it may cost you a litle more but it gets the jetting perdy damn close to perfect & its worth it. also, it doesnt really give you that much more power, if any at all. what the stroker does is make power quicker. the difference in the dyno curves is pretty awesome. it jumps up to full power so much faster. it adds a lot of torque so your top end speed goes down (or at least it did with me) so you might want to up your sprocket in the front by 1 or 2 teeth. its a lot to think about but it makes it a lot of fun. good luck!

I put a hot rods stroker crank in my last one, as well as bored over, it came out to a 402 or something..

I loved it, i rode the snot out of that bike and NEVER had a problem,

I spoke with a Hotrods sales rep on the phone about their stroker crankshaft and piston combo a while back. I was told it was stroked 4mm not 7mm which puts the total (+1mmbore and +4mmstroke) at 379cc not 396cc. Hotrods website lists it at 4mm but Dennis Kirk and Ebay-sellers list it as 7mm. (Although in Hotrods FAQ section it says 7mm). Has anyone measured it? I can't imagine Dennis Kirk not confirming it to be 7mm. Either way, 4mm or 7mm, I would run it with an oil-cooler. Are you sure you need a new crank? Why not just get your crank rebuilt...it's cheaper! http://www.cycleworksracing.net/labor.htm has it listed at $85 plus parts and put the rest of your money elsewhere. If you dont already have an edelbrock carb then spend your money on one.... it's AWESOME! (best with K & N and pipe). I got my edelbrock off Ebay for $250. The warrior will really come to life and is super reliable. An engine that is over-modified by extreme stroking and boring will definitely give you problems. Who the hell wants to wake-up eager on Saturday only to find out their quad won't start because their rings are bad from overheating or their head gasket is leaking. Engineers at Yamaha optimized the cylinder head and walls to transfer heat as necessary. I don't care what mechanics say, (I should know) about life span.....it depends on where and how you ride, temp, etc. If you want 400cc then save your money, sell your warrior, and buy a 400cc quad.

mattynice said:
I spoke with a Hotrods sales rep on the phone about their stroker crankshaft and piston combo a while back. I was told it was stroked 4mm not 7mm which puts the total (+1mmbore and +4mmstroke) at 379cc not 396cc. Hotrods website lists it at 4mm but Dennis Kirk and Ebay-sellers list it as 7mm. (Although in Hotrods FAQ section it says 7mm). Has anyone measured it? I can't imagine Dennis Kirk not confirming it to be 7mm. Either way, 4mm or 7mm, I would run it with an oil-cooler. Are you sure you need a new crank? Why not just get your crank rebuilt...it's cheaper! http://www.cycleworksracing.net/labor.htm has it listed at $85 plus parts and put the rest of your money elsewhere. If you dont already have an edelbrock carb then spend your money on one.... it's AWESOME! (best with K & N and pipe). I got my edelbrock off Ebay for $250. The warrior will really come to life and is super reliable. An engine that is over-modified by extreme stroking and boring will definitely give you problems. Who the hell wants to wake-up eager on Saturday only to find out their quad won't start because their rings are bad from overheating or their head gasket is leaking. Engineers at Yamaha optimized the cylinder head and walls to transfer heat as necessary. I don't care what mechanics say, (I should know) about life span.....it depends on where and how you ride, temp, etc. If you want 400cc then save your money, sell your warrior, and buy a 400cc quad.

Yeah it looks like HotRods have changed there info about there stroker kits. It used to be 7mm on there web site as well.
If you get the crank rebuilt you have to wait a couple weeks to have it done and then on top of that not is not including the new bearings on both the con-rod, main and new con-rod which are always done when doing this. Also it is more to have the crank stroked, that price is just rebuild to press the halfs appart and push them back together. Powroll quoted me another $315.00 on top of the parts which I think are around $125.00. So I don't believe you can save any money going that way, but who would want to do all that work just for 4mm more.
You actually make power at a lower rpm with stroker kits so you are not reving it as hard. I'm not sure how a head gasket would leak if it is quality and engine was put together right. The fact still remains that more power, more heat. The more heat and stress the lower the reliablity and maintance you will have to do. This goes for all the race quads as well.

Back