Okay New Guy here....Performance?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boargaurd

Reaction score
The only thing I know is when you start to mod anything it is never finished... Trust me, ask my wife about the Harleys!

What performance bolt on up grades do you recommend and why? I am not looking to tear into the quad just yet but definitly want
1. More Sound
2. More Torque
3. Reliable
4. Keep up with my buddy's raptor 660 - just kidding!! or Am I?

I just bought this '97 Warrior, it is clean and all stock except the tires of course. I am spending my weekend just going over with a fine tooth comb and lubing and adjusting items needing attention.
Also, stupid question but how easy is it to push the quad on level pavement? It seems as if the brakes are locking slightly and squeaking but when you pick the bike up the wheels roll without the squeak. BUT- the wheels are not free turning as to a motorcycle or car type wheel. Could the axle bearings need grease? or just recheck the axle torque?

The best mods to start out with are a good slip-on exhaust and intake kit. The stock header flows pretty good, it's not really worth the extra money for an aftermarket one. There's a bunch of good slip-ons out there to choose from. Just stay away from certain brands like DG, Cobra, and I'm not a real big fan of FMF either. Pro Circuit, Big Gun, Yoshimura, HMF, and White Brothers are just a few worth looking at.

Get a clamp-on air filter kit, like the ones made by ProDesign and Noss Machine. They replace the stock drop-in style filter with one that will clamp on instead. This gives several benefits. The stock filter setup has the potential to let dirt and other contaminants slip past, because the airbox lid holds the filter in place, and the only thing between the filter and the box is a piece of soft spongy foam. If the filter isn't put in just right, there could be a big gap left for dirt to get pulled through. With the clamp on kit, you don't have to worry about that anymore, and you can also run without the lid to get some more power.

After you get those mods done, you will need to rejet to get it running right, and get the power gains.

This is great info just what I needed.
I'm guessing I need a slipon with spark arrestor correct?

I've got a long way to go so keep the info coming.

You don't absolutely need a spark arrestor unless the places you ride have a requirement for one. Most of the good exhausts do come with one though. My HMF came with it, but I don't use it because it gets clogged up when I ride in wet muddy stuff. It'll get so clogged up for me that my sound level changes from sasquatch to an idling golf cart, and the power turns to nothing.

It's mainly their RCM designs that are horrible. They packing blows out, they sound like crap, and they add barely any power. In my opinion, just about everything DG builds is designed and built like crap.

Dg has a line of exhausts out now that are just as good if not better than most others.... but not untill a few years ago was this true.

Back