white brothers or keihin carb?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bickel76

Reaction score
i think that we all know the edelbrock is a great upgrade but does anyone else have any experience with the white brothers or other aftermarket carbs? the white bros carb on alba is still a 36mm carb but they brag about it. plus some of the other aftermarket carbs are about half the price of the edel. another one that i came across was the Keihin 38mm PE Carb Kit for 229 from duncan racing. if there is any engine mod company out there that i would trust it would have to be duncan racing. any opinions?

The edel is the only way to go man, those carbs that are in the $200 range don't even have accelerator pumps, so the throttle response is like watching paint dry. And they all still have the same annoying, frustrating, time consuming jetting procedure of the stock carb, and just as many things to go wrong. The edelbrock is just an all-around better design for convenience, reliability, and power gains. The other carbs that actually have the accelerator pump are $400 something, and still follow the stock design and the accelerator pump isn't even tunable.

thanks for the input. kinda figured that they wouldnt be worth the money but wanted to find out before i end up dropping 400 bucks on an edel.

You should only spend 350 to 375 on it, not that it's much better but it's still 25 to 50 you can spend elsewhere. The flat slide edel is the only way to go if you want a response like the newer motors out.

i was just wondering about the carb size. i know it wont have the response the edel does without the accelerator pump, but being a 38mm vs the 32-36mm of the edel, didnt know if that would be worth it. by the way, this wont be going on a stock motor.

The edel isn't restricted like the other carbs out there, it doesn't have a butterfly in the middle. It also has a oval shaped bore, the one diameter is 32mm but the other diameter is larger. It all comes down to fuel atomization, a smaller carb can produce more power than a larger one since the velocity is increased through the bore, making the fuel atomize much finer. I wouldn't go with a larger carb for this motor, even with a large stroker kit in there, the edel is the perfect size for us. Edelbrock makes that carb with a oval bore to keep the low end power, that little bastard makes a ton of power up top and through the midrange, especially with a heavily modified motor. Save up your pennies for one, that's the best advice I can give you!!! ;D ;D ;D Talk to deathshadow about the other carbs, he has dealt with all of the styles out there. Going with a larger carb will only cause you to lose power, since the velocity is decreased through the bore and the droplets of fuel will be larger. I wouldn't dare go with a carb that doesn't have a tuneable accelerator pump, that is a must for four stroke performance. On the newer motors maybe, but on our 80's design motor the pump is necessary, take our word on that one.

i figured that the edel was the way to go, but i just wanted to make sure before i lay down 400 bucks on one. thanks for the info

Don't wast your money on anything else, go Edlebrock. I don't know that it make the quad any faster, but the off idle and mid range is sick.

i thought i was going to have to replace the axle and sprocket hub, but it looks like it is alright. i'm thinking about using that money to buy an edel. many motor mods are eventually going to be done to my warrior and i might as well start with the edel.

Velocity and volume are whats important.... velocity alone will not "make more power". Its a balancing act, just like with head-porting: You want best possible velocity that also allows complete cylinder filling (i.e. not too much, not too little). Its an exact science.

The stock CV carbs on the 350 is actually pretty damn good, it has a wide tunable range. It is not "restricted" in anyway other than the jetting and the airbox its attached too. The butterfly valve in the primary (venturi) is a standard design component for most CV (Constant-Velocity) carbs, its necessary as to maintain proper vacuum control against the slide.

Remember the slide is vacuum actuated, you turning the throttle does not open the slide (you turning the throttle controls the butterfly), vacuum within the carbs system raises or lowers the slide. That is the point where air/fuel metering is determined. The butterfly allows the vacuum from the engine to ramp-up in a controlled/measured rate.

Flatslide carbs have no butterfly (doesnt need one), the throttle cable is connected directly to the slide itself. This is also why an accelerator pump is usually (but not always) necessary, when you whack the slide wide open, there is for a moment, insufficient vacuum generated by the engine (rpm's have to build 1st) to pull fuel from the various fuel circuits. The accelerator pump basically fixes that.

Flatslides are good for faster throttle response and top-end, but they do tend to lose bottom-end and mid-range power/torque. They are also thirstier with fuel. Theyre great for drag racing or dunes.

CV's are much better for bottom-end and mid-range power/torque, they flow decently at the top-end, but not quite as well as flatslides. CV's are much more fuel efficient in general. Great for trail and XC

Theres always a trade-off guys, just have to figure out which side of things suits your taste and riding style the best.

36mm is on the borderline of being too large for the stock 350 engine, probably about perfect for a 366. Do not go to larger carb unless youre running a large displacement stroker or similar setup. Theres no point, and you will not make "more power".

I have a White Brother's TM flat slide carb kit with accel pump. I payed around $290. I would say, carb should be the last thing you do to your bike if your trying to get the most out of it. I could feel a difference on the mid and top-end, lost a little on the bottom end. Just like there dyno sheet shows. I think a good state of tune (correct jetting) does more imprtant then anything. BTW: the accel pump is tunable.

do you know anyone who is trying to get rid of a white brother's carb with the accel pump like your's?

Latest posts

Back