Just installed the Edelbrock

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave76

Reaction score
Ok, how hard is it gonna be to tune this thing? It came with the 18 needle from the factory. I have a pipe, .60 over, 11.1 compression, and midrange cam. Do I need to go up on the needle or should I raise the needle, the off idle throttle bucks?

Did you read the tuning guide that came with the carb? I think that explains the tuning and troubleshooting well. I'm not really sure what you mean by "the off idle throttle bucks"

What I ment was, let the clutch out in first gear and let the bike idle roll, then stab the throttle, thats when it bucks (or pops)before it goes. Just a quick stumble.

That sounds like the accelerator pump adjustment, you problably need to lighten it up a little bit. The owner's manual shows how to do it.

Yeah I was playin a little with the acc. pump but wasn't changing much, so thats why I figured the needle needs adjustment.

My Edelbrock did the same thing, Acc. pump adjustment didn't help, had to go to a smaller needle. Now you had better be holding on tight when you stab the throttle from rolling idle! :eek:

The carb came with an 18 needle installed. Included was a 16 and a 20. I'm wundering if 18 is too much?

It wouldn't hurt to try the 16e and see if it fixed the problem, but with just my intake and exhaust I was running an 18e needle and it wasn't too much. With the high compression piston and ported head i'm running a 20e, it would probably be better with a 19e but i don't have one and i'm not interested in spending $30 on a single needle just to see if it's better.

Heres the deal, I started up the quad last nite, and let it idle, right after I put my new FMF head pipe on, I let it itle for like 2 min and when I looked the head pipe was glowing orange very brightly. So I changed the needle to the 20E, and played with it a while. I had it about 10 clicks out and the pipe was still glowing, so I turned it to 20 clicks and glowing when down. I ended up settling at 16 clicks, its still a very little faint glow, but the bike runs awsome.

ive had the edelbrock on my warrior for about 6 months now and have had to play with it and learn the difference between the edelbrock and the rest of the carbs like the POS mikuni the bike came with. First: the mixture adjustment is only for low to mid range throttle and the rest is taken care of by the needle/jet because this carb works off of a pumper/slide venturi, there are a few adjustments to simply be made, such as the accelerator pump and the needle/jet. for any and all advice check out the teck support telephone line, given in the instructions. The guys there have been very helpfull with my dumb questions and even sent me a bunch of stickers to boot. Also remember the edelbrock is designed for a bike with an intake and exhaust, with out either, your wasting your time, I went with the cheap cobra exhaust and regretted it, then I went all out and got the full Yoshi setup, then I wreched the quad.

Back