Rear Banshee shock installation

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
Well picked up a rear banshee shock and fronts for next to nothing so i figured id slap them on there since the rear looks to be much easier to adjust. Took a little while, but everything went good. Although you do have to cut a good 2"x 2" square out the airbox. My airbox is so full of holes and etc it didnt really matter anyway. But after getting it on and playing with it a while i will say its a good improvement over the warrior rear shock. Its much more plush and offers more adjustment as apposed to the warrior shock. I cant wait to hit a few jumps and really get fine tuning with it. These shocks are much more plentiful that the raptor shocks and they havent changed them in forever so any year will work.

The fronts i have attempted to put on, they are about an 1" longer than stock and offer more of a dual rate spring. They fit with some persuading but are too long and i dont really want to run the risk of blowing a balljoint. But i need harder shocks for my weight and suspension set-up. These are not really safe therefore i dont reccomend them. I had to compress them slightly to get them on therfore there is always pressure on the balljoints when the front end comes off the ground. Luckily i prolly wont be running like this for long as im hoping to upgrade suspension or upgrade to a whole new quad soon. Pictures will come soon i hope.

So the rear shock is a direct bolt in? Other than the airbox......

Got to start looking.

What other shocks are usable on the Warriors?

8 )

So the rear shock is a direct bolt in? Other than the airbox......

Got to start looking.

What other shocks are usable on the Warriors?

8 )

Yepp Direct fit i havent found any other problems yet, the nice part is that you can reach the compression adjustment and the dampning easily from the bottom and side.

dumb question for you. is cutting your airbox the same problem with the raptor shocks that arent an 01 or were there other issues with them? another dumb question for you. sooner or later i'm going to get new a-arms. yeah, you can temporarily use your stock shocks but the ride will suck. since the raptor and banshee shocks are better and longer than the warrior shocks, how do you think they would work out until a set of elka's could be purchased? the front shocks are all over the place and are pretty cheap.

one more dumb question. when i ride hard and park my warrior, there are two half-dollar drip marks on the garage floor. it must be some pretty potent stuff because it eats away the sealant on the floor. the spots are almost right below where the rear shock mounts to the linkage. is the oil in shocks that strong? when i got my warrior the front shocks were totally shot so i'm guessing the rear is also.

I got a banshee rear also. Love it, way better than the warrior. As for the air box, I used a heat gun to heat the plastic up real hot and took an aresol can (just needed something round that wouldn't burn my hand) and pushed in the area where the rezzie was hitting. I got a bit carried away and actually ripped the plastic, but a little silicone and its still all sealed up. Just and alternative if you don't want to cut a hole.

i just got mine installed and didnt have a problem at all. i took all the bolts out of the airbox and installed the shock. then i took the heat gun and heated up the airbox from the inside. i applied pressure on the airbox and my dad sat on the grab bar so that the rezzie pushed on the airbox as hard as it would while riding. we just held everything in place until the plastic cooled and then it was done. cutting a hole in the airbox isnt that big of a deal, but i thought i would give the heat gun method a try first. anyway, i highly recommend the upgrade. i picked mine up on ebay for 85 bucks and free shipping. they arent the greatest shocks out there, but they are a great improvement over the stock warrior shock.

BansheeRearShock.jpg

i tried to get a pic of what the airbox looks like, but couldnt get a good shot of it.

What about other year Raptor 660 shocks???

I know that 2002 and up have rezzies that are built on...but can they be bolted on...other then the rezzie hitting the airbox?

The 2001 Raptor 660 shocks are getting really rare on Ebay...

What about other year Raptor 660 shocks???

I know that 2002 and up have rezzies that are built on...but can they be bolted on...other then the rezzie hitting the airbox?

The 2001 Raptor 660 shocks are getting really rare on Ebay...

that's what i was wondering too before i bought the banshee shock. i'm guessing that the other year raptor shocks would have the same problem with the airbox. i think that would be the only problem. might want to check with your yamaha dealer to see what the differences are between the banshee and raptor shock.

What are the adjustments on the banshee shock?
preload with the spring i know, the rebound it most likly has...........
Is the compression also adjustable like the rebound? (with a screw or knob?)

3 adjustments total?

The only way I could see the compression being adjustable would be from tightening up the spring (threading the collar down the piece it runs on). By doing that you only make it tougher to compress (so it's adjustable for heavier riders to not have too much sag in the shock).
I doubt for a stock shock if you'd be able to adjust the compression speed and oil movement on the compression stroke like you can on the rebound.

Though I haven't handled one of these shocks personally, I'm just going from pictures I found around the web of the shock itself. If there is a compression adjustability control please let me know, as this will be the new rear shock I'll be choosing over the 660 rear.
~Bill

p.s. since this shock has a piggy back, and that's the sole reason we use the 660 rear, since it has the remote res. Can you use any other rear shocks with a mounted ressie if you do the air box mod, and the eye-eye measurement stays static?

I've looked at pictures of every shock I can think of, and the big problem with most piggyback reservoirs is that they're offset. Instead of going straight out the front like the banshee's piggyback, most of them go off to the side or at an angle, and would hit the swingarm under compression. There are a few others with piggybacks that would clear the swingarm, but they have strange mounts and probably wouldn't work without some cutting, grinding, and welding.

What are the adjustments on the banshee shock?
preload with the spring i know, the rebound it most likly has...........
Is the compression also adjustable like the rebound? (with a screw or knob?)

3 adjustments total?

you will have to excuse my terminology on this one. i might be using the wrong terms to explain the settings. that being said, there is a knob at the bottom of the shock that adjusts the rebound (how fast or slow it goes back to original position). there is a knob on the side of the rezzie that adjusts how soft or hard you want the ride. and there is the adjustment on the top where you loosen the lock nut to adjust the length of the spring. the first two you can do by hand. obviously not the third. i'll take some pics tomorrow.

since there is 3 ways to adjust the banshee shock, the knob on the bottom, the one on the side of the ressie, and the movement of the threaded collar, there very well may be a compression dampening knob as well as the common rebound adjustment. If that is the case, I can see this as being a preferable shock over the 660 raptor rear shock because afaik you can't adjust the compression on that.

This is quote from one of 20Warrio01's post in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS, here is what the guy that i bought the shock had to say about the settings. i thought i would pass it along.........

SORRY FOR THE DELY..........took kids to carnival.... The rebound is the star wheel at the base of the shock. turn wheel clockwise till it stops then back it out 12 clicks for standard setting there will be two marks(arrows) that will line up when standard is set . yOU CAN GO +/- ABOUT 6 CLICKS FROM THERE FOR PERSONAL PREFERENCE. clockwise will increase the damping. never more than 20 clicks out from fully in. I got info from the banshee bible... If you don't have a service manual It will be one of your better investments to maintaining your quad. They are very informative and even tell you which bolts to remove first when maintaining the shock to ease its removal... Hope that helps and e-mail me if you need more info..................Paul

i havent tried to tweak mine yet. i'll do that once i'm able to hit the trails. the only thing i have messed with is the knob on the side of the piggyback. let me know if any of that info helps.

So going by that it seems like it would be a beneficial swap to even go from the 660 rear shock to the banshee shock. Another viable option now is aftermarket banshee shocks, which should be cheaper, and more plentiful, especially on Ebay.
~Bill

OK I got excited went on e-bay............Grabbed an Ohlins rear shock for a Limited Edition 2004 Banshee.............The posting said it is 3 way adjustable for sure. It Supposently has 15 hours on it.
The guy says its mint and wasnt abused in any way .........It looks mint in pictures (actually bran new)...........I got it for 151 bucks.

Now I havnt been following the ebay shock seen .
But do ya htink I did ok on that ...........or was it the excitemne t mixed with rum? : )

i think you did good on your limited edition shock. i'm not sure how much different it is from the stock shock, but i am completely satisfied with the one i bought. finally had it out on the trails and bottomed out. i stopped and adjusted the compression to more of a medium setting and worked great. i didnt get to jump with it yet though. i'm sure it will be fine though.

anyway, congrats on your purchase. i'm sure you wont regret it.

Latest posts

Back