DIRECT LINK SHIFTER.... found one that fits

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswwarrior350

Reaction score
Today i bought a 1999-2006 yz250 shifter to get rid of the linkage on my warrior. Fits perfect without having the bend it, it sits about 1/2 inch longer than stock so its nice for bigger feet. Great thing is you can pick one up from rocky mountain dirt cheap from tusk thats anodized blue or chrome.

Mine was made by moose and its steel, i bought a steel one in case i had to bend it but i didnt. Prolly wont work with a oil cooler set-up but its a cheap way to go direct.

How much clearance beteen the Stator cover, and the shifter?

Just wondering if it'll fit on a Pull start equipped warrior....

Hmm ill check it out tommorow, actually i have mine low enough (i think) that its not even near the cover.

i found out that when i finally got the cover to replace my pullstart so i could raise my shifter that it now hits on the oil filter cover. we were able to bend it in a different direction so that it does work. i hope that one of us will be able to find a shifter that will work with the oil cooler setup. we have a welder but i dont particularly trust our welding skills!!

You're not going to find a stock shifter that is going to make it around that oil cooler adapter. The shifter has to come straight out like 3 inches before it even thinks about bending towards the front, nothing is designed like that from the factory. If you want a direct shifter you might as well start looking for someone that's willing to help you, instead of waiting around for something magical to happen.

Just follow the directions I made for a shifter that reaches around the oil cooler. They aren't that hard to make, you just can't make the welds too hot.

You're not going to find a stock shifter that is going to make it around that oil cooler adapter. The shifter has to come straight out like 3 inches before it even thinks about bending towards the front, nothing is designed like that from the factory. If you want a direct shifter you might as well start looking for someone that's willing to help you, instead of waiting around for something magical to happen.

how is that direct mount holding up?

Best $15 I've spent in a long time. Night and day difference.

i paid $30ish for my Moose yz250 shifter and i love it.. i ground some material off the back to help even more with stator cover clearence.. i absolutely love the shifter ... best money i've ever spent

i paid $30ish for my Moose yz250 shifter and i love it.. i ground some material off the back to help even more with stator cover clearence.. i absolutely love the shifter ... best money i've ever spent
Ihad that shifter too, but after installing the GYT-R stator cover, I had to bend the shifter even more, and it ended up removing most of the leverage, so it was hard as hell to shift, now I made the Banshee mod shifter, which is awsome.

So do the direct mount shifters actually make your shifts "feel" better/smoother? Or is it just that you guys don't like the look of the linkage? If it makes it smoother I'm ordering one asap, can't stand the notchy feel.....

It's not only that it shifts smoother, it also shifts quicker (less foot travel) lighter, and once you get used to it you'll never miss a shift.

With the stock shifter it seemed like the only time I could get the thing in neutral was when I was winding it out in first and trying to shift into 2nd, but then neutral was pretty much non-existent when I wanted it. For a while I was worried that I had a bent shift fork or some other problem with the transmission, it was happening so often. With the direct shifter I don't have any problems like that. I never hit neutral unless i'm trying to find it.

The moose YZ250 99 to 06 will work with a little bending to suit your needs, it fits good on a motor with no oil cooler or gytr stator cover, I loved it.

Just read the whole thread, that'll explain it.

basically...

i've had even more hours on my shifter... i got a much shorter 1-2 throw.. before i was hitting neutral every once in a while... now neutral is littel just a tap on the shifter...

don't have to pull the shifter as much as wityh the stock one...

Back