Tusk Clutch

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexy99warrior

Reaction score
:mad:This clutch blows ass...i got it, and the first couple of rides seemed ok... After about 6-8 rides that were about 5 hrs each, the clutch started to slip. Only on top end in each gear it slips.. So now im in the market for a new clutch when i get $$. I do not reccommend this clutch...it sux. :mad:

ok thanks...ill look into it...i was also recommended Barnett Dirt Digger...are they any good...?

i thought they were good but i was told by someone that after like a month he was riding with 2 people and it started slipping so i dont know.

I don’t like barnette at all and the shop I work at from time to time despises them - the Kevlar/carbon frags floating around your motor in your oil aren’t too good for it.

Did you put in the h/d springs with the clutch kit? If any motor mods are done to the warrior i would highly reccomend stiffer springs no matter what kind of plates you put in. Ive had my tusk clutch kit for a long time and no problems, but i also put in the stiffer springs. What type of oil can also affect the clutch life, try a synthetic like amsoil, made for motorcycles. If anyone tells you the clutch is too hard to pull with stiffer springs dont pay attention it make only a little harder and its barely noticable. Car oils will roast a clutch in no time especially if its something like a high mileage oil, they have additives to prevent grabbing and sticking, exactly what clutch plates are supposed to do.

Well i was using Mobil1 with it, and i didnt use stiffer springs....what exact oil do you use?

Which Mobil1 did you use? and what did your clutch plates look like?

What DSW was getting at about oils is that most automotive synthetic oils add friction modifiers. You can't use these with a wet clutch system, your new clutch won't last more than a few hours. Most motorcycle synthetics will advertise on the bottle "does not contain friction modifiers" or also know as "moly" (molybdenum, comes from the mineral molybdenite). So be careful when using automotive oil, read the bottle for contents or you could end up with some nice mirror-finish clutch plates.

With all that said, HD springs help, but go with a DP clutch or an EBC kit, they're nice for peace of mind.

i have a barnet in mine and i use regular car oil (cuz i dont care about my quad that much) and i'd have it for 2 years this november, it slips when i have someone on the back but with just me its pretty good....really stiff tho, i broke my rotator clamp once

Well i was using Mobil1 with it, and i didnt use stiffer springs....what exact oil do you use?

I use amsoil high performance motorcycle 10w40. It awesome, i change my oil once at the beggining of summer and once at the end, as long as i dont run it too hard. Its true full synthetic, with no additives, formulated specifcally for wet clutch apllications. Like i said with all my mods, and sometimes hauling 2 people around, holeshots, hillcimbs, mud, anything. My clutch hasnt slipped yet, the only complaint i have is a little fade when i run it hard, but hell any clutch is gonna have a little bit of fade once it gets so hot. Yes there are better clutches out there and if you got the money i would reccomend buying them, but you shouldnt have worn that cltuch out that fast.

ok thanks...im ording either a EBC or the dirt digger. Cause that DP is just too much. Also im gunna start to run the same oil as you(DSWwarrior350) since you sound like you love it...lol. Thanks for the help. Ill let you know how it turns out. Gotta wait a couple of days till i order it tho. Pay day is in a week.

Id run Amsoil 20W50 for spring/summer/fall/early winter and drop it down in the dead winter. The Dirtdigger clutches suck ass for our motor it really isn’t recommended unless you like Kevlar or other **** floating around your tranny...

Back