New CDI

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinacez

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a new CDI and have seen some aftermarket
on ebay for $100-200. Don't have alot of cash! Is it a big deal on which one I buy?
Thanks

no, its not a BIG deal, i mean some are better than others.

i really don't know anything about engines, tinker a little bit but when it comes to increasing performance i'm not sure what works best with what. So no I don't know the consequences! Should I just buy a used stockon ebay? Or are you gonna tell me what I need to do to compliment the aftermarket CDI?
Thanks

You will float your valves during high RPM periods. If you are going with an aftermarket CDI you should invest in a cam and valve springs first.

ah crap, I can't afford that! Guess I'll stick with the stock used CDI. Thanks for the headsup DeathShadow:)

You can go with the aftermarket CDI it does increase your spark energy and give you a more aggressive curve but you must be leery of high RPMs because you will float the valves in a heart beat.

No problem.

Floating the valves is when the cam or rocker arm looses contact with the valve springs. When this happens you have reached the peak in RPM's. So getting a cdi and adding to the RPM's with a cdi will. So adding an extra 1000 rpm's is pointless because all you are gonna do is cause the valves to float more which is stressfull on the motor. Stronger, stiffer valve springs stay in contact longer which allows for higher RPM performance. Thats why they say a cdi is really pointless unless you have motor work done.

I would love it but I have a 98 and I think anything after 2002 electrical may not work on mine?

Floating the valves won't damage the warrior motor really, the compression is really low. The piston will hit a valve if it is floating when it comes up. The warrior piston doesn't come up far enough, but on the newer engines it's a big deal since they have a higher compression and the piston comes up further. Get the cdi, just take an easy in the top end if your that worried. SRP makes one now for a 100 or so, but your best option for late 90's models to 2001 is the dyna, four different curves of goodness!!! ;D

I believe there will be no probs on those years. 2002-04 would be a problem, from what I have read.

i have a slip-on and a stage 1 hotcam..would it be advisable to get one of those aftermarket cdi's on ebay?

Latest posts

Back