Painting Helmet?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usdsk8er540

Reaction score
hey yall. just wondering if anyone has painted their helmet before. if so, got any pics and what process and paint did you use? im thinking about doing a full color change on my helmet because its lookin pretty crappy. got some good chips in the paint from tree limbs at chadwick and im getting tired of covering them up with stickers.

All i can say is, buy a helmet skin or find yourself some paint that will be very think when it dry's. Or you can get some PlastiPaint specially made for plastic's and put around 6 coat's of that on. Make sure you take the inner soul out of the helmet or you'll be smelling a disgusting paint smell for a while.

I painted mine. I started out removing the decals on it, and then sanding it down. Good enough to get the noticable chips off, but not so much that it was down to bare plastic and took me all day. I just painted it with 3 coats of metallic DupliColor spray paint from the auto parts store, then when that was set up decent, I laid down about 5 coats of plastic clearcoat. That paint has been on there for about a year, and still looks awesome. It's held up just as good as the paint that was originally on it. No chips or anything bad, just a couple little scuffs from bumping off tree branches and rolling around the back of the car.

I thought i'd get a little fancy and paint the visor with that 3 step color changing chameleon spray paint, but that didn't turn out as good. It originally looked awesome, but wasn't as durable, and flaked off in a few places.

For the visor, since they're unpainted from the factory, you probably want to use Krylon Fusion or some other kind of paint with a flexing agent. Before you even spray that down though, put a few light passes of adhesion promoter on there after you sand it to help the basecoat stick.

Just be careful what you use on it. Some paints contain chemicals tthat can damage the shell and make your helmet unsafe.

thanks guys. i started on it last night with some good sanding and lots of primer. i have laid down the flat white basecoat and im gonna let that cure tonight while i work on my design for the visor and back of the helmet. ill let yall know how it goes and get some pics of the end result. thanks again guys!

I may be late but i painted 1 of mine flat black with KRYLON FUSION PAINT its the one on the far right i put the fox sticker on look's great..
ATVRIDGEPICS104.jpg

hey guys. sorry for the delay. ive been really busy with work and getting ready for my baby that i hadnt got around to taking pics of the finished helmet. well here it is.
thats my jack russell terrier, brodie in the first one. he loves the camera! if you are wondering about the british flag, im from england, so thats why its there.
ea8ddeed.jpg

heres the back. booner is my nickname that i have had for a long time, so i thought it would be fitting to put it on my helmet.
ea8ddeeb.jpg

and here it is with my new scott goggles. anti-fog lens and "no sweat" foam.
ea8ddeea.jpg

keep in mind, this is my first attempt at painting a helmet and i did it with home-made stencils and spray paint. not too bad in my opinion. so, what do yall think?

thanks guys. i made the stencil on the visor with a picture of the flag, painter's tape and pinstripe tape. then i made the stencil for the name on the back by getting on my microsoft word, typing it out and blowing up the font. then i taped it on the back with painter's tape and cut out the letters. that took quite a while, but it turned out pretty well. im quite happy with it. well thanks again for the comments guys. later

Back